Protecting Your Rights And Your Future

Common Questions About Motor Vehicle Accidents

So many things happen right after a car accident. You may find it overwhelming to try and keep the details straight while recovering from your injuries. If you have questions, bring them to Oakley & Oakley, LLC. I am attorney Jay Oakley, and I receive questions from clients on a regular basis regarding their auto accidents. I have the experience and knowledge to answer them and reassure them regarding their cases. Some common questions I hear include:

The other driver’s insurance company is offering me money. Should I take it?

Before you accept any settlement, you should have an attorney review it. Be aware that most insurance companies offer the lowest amount they think they can get away with in hopes that you will settle for that amount before you talk to a lawyer.

Why do I need a lawyer?

Without a lawyer, you have very little leverage against the insurance company. As your lawyer, I will build a case for you and fight for the full amount of compensation you deserve. As a skilled negotiator, I can also talk to the insurance company on your behalf and make sure they know you are serious about taking the case to court if needed.

What kind of damages am I entitled to from my car accident?

When someone else’s negligence causes your car accident, you have the right to recover the following compensation:

  • Lost wages if you miss work
  • Property damage to your car
  • Medical bills for your injuries
  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent disabilities
  • Reduced earning potential

How long will my case take?

The answer is different for everyone. It may take time to figure out the extent of your damages, especially if you have a severe, life-altering injury. It also depends on whether you wish to settle or take your case to court. I will be able to give you an estimate when we review your case together.

What if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?

Even if the other driver is breaking Kentucky law by driving without insurance, you may be able to file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance company. I will walk you through your policy and explain how this works.

Do You Still Have Questions About Your Accident?

I offer free consultations so you can bring your questions to me and find out how I can help you recover the damages you deserve. You may contact my Lexington office at 859-286-7980 or fill out my confidential online form.